Timeline/Ryu's Age

A forum for non-specific Ninja Gaiden discussion.
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Timeline/Ryu's Age

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:12 am

Okay, whether or not you like Hayashi's Team Ninja Dog, it's pretty clear now that the modern NG games are prequels of sorts to the original trilogy, while the DoA games take place after. My question is: what is Ryu's age at the time of the original NG games? I'm pretty sure they mention Ryu's age in the NGB/Σ as 18 or something and NGII/Σ2 happens about a year later (enough time to rebuild the village twice). One can assume NG3/RE happens a year later.
So Ryu is ~20 in Razor's Edge.

So is he 21 in Ninja Gaiden?

Wasn't he 21 in the DoA tournaments?

How does Ninja Gaiden: Shadow fit into this?

Did the OVA happen?

What about the arcade game?

Or Ninja Gaiden X, the cellphone game?

Does any one actually care?!
Puregrunt
Administrator

Re: Timeline/Ryu's Age

Post by Puregrunt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 am

I think on his Wiki page he's said to be 25 years old. But he can't be 25 years old in all his adventures, that wouldn't make any sense. Perhaps he was just a young man, say 18 when he started and up to his current time he is about 25, maybe late 20's. In the NG world though, he can be permantly 25 years old, or 18, or whatever LOL.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 am

Zero-ELEC wrote:Does any one actually care?!
That would be a no, for me anyway. Welcome to Archives BTW :thumb:
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:21 am

Actually, i know the answer.

Ryu is actually 34. He lives in Sydney Australia and is really really good at NG2 :bolt:
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:24 am

Nah man that's Ryan Hayabusa :eyebrow:
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:39 am

:laugh2:
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:09 pm

I think Itagaki or someone at TN had said that the NES games happened later, but there's problems with that. Like Ryu not recognizing Sonia/Irene in NES NG1. To me it makes more sense if they happen in different timelines or if the new games are more of a re-imagining of the old ones.

Stuff like the Demon Statue and the South American fiend temple in NG2 and the Dark Dragon Blade (which has the same shape as the Sword of Chaos, if I remember right) seem to be references to the original trilogy, anyway. Plus the CIA getting involved. Even old NG3 vs. new NG3, both have some sort of fiends created through biological experiments, including an attempt at cloning Ryu. And doesn't Robert Sturgeon show up in the modern NG3 at some point? :deepthought:
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm pretty sure the timeline is supposed to go something like:

Σ->DS->Σ2->RE->NG->NGIII->NGII->DoA

I guess the older games are retconned to happen differently now. But again, nobody really cares. I do ;.;
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 am

Are all the DoA games in order, or is there a mixed up timeline there, too? (Never played any of 'em...)
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Zero-ELEC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:08 am

DoA Dimensions basically retcons everything, but yes, each DoA game is another DoA tournament run by [s]Evil Fighting Game Organization #45[/s] Doatec and stuff happens, involving ninjas and clones and clone ninjas. It's all very complex.
stqueirolo
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by stqueirolo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Zero-ELEC wrote:DoA Dimensions basically retcons everything, but yes, each DoA game is another DoA tournament run by [s]Evil Fighting Game Organization #45[/s] Doatec and stuff happens, involving ninjas and clones and clone ninjas. It's all very complex.

more than complex i will say its stupid :D
Hicho9
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Hicho9 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:32 am

First of all, we do now have to distinguish between the old NES trilogy and the modern NG series re-boot, which should really be seen as the modern homage/take on some of the classic NES trilogy themes. Back when the modern NG1 came out (and still even just before NG2 came out), Itagaki alluded that these modern games could be prequels to the NES trilogy, but that never really made logical sense given the new Sonia/Irene character vs. the Irene of the NES trilogy. So, based now on some elements of NG2 and certainly NG3, it has definitely established a new canon that is independent from the old one, while still continually riffing off of it.

So, you basically have the current Team Ninja re-configuring and re-organizing the modern DOA and NG universe to be more cohesive---DOA: Dimensions basically kind of revises and summarizes a new canon for DOA 1-4. Based on the new canon they have established it seems likely that the modern NG1 - NG:DS - NG2 take place sometime during the same period as DOA 1-4 and/or just before. It seems to be hinted at that NG3 likely takes place just before or around the same time as DOA5.

So, Team Ninja has basically kind of set things up with the NG/DOA universe so that they can now move forward with a new, more cohesive canon (sort of...some things still don't really make sense).
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

I leave for god knows how long and I return to do /this/?

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:43 am

So, I know every one basically said they don't care, and it kinda doesn't make much sense, but I'm obsessed with timelines and stuff as well as Ninja Gaiden. So, I'm obsessed with trying to make a Ninja Gaiden Timeline. I am also aware that this is necro-bumping/gravedigging but I didn't want to create a new topic.

So without further ado, here it is, my own personal Ninja Gaiden/DoA timeline:

Code: Select all

Ninja Gaiden —> Ninja Gaiden Shadow —> Ninja Gaiden Sigma —> Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword —> Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 —> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge —> Ninja Gaiden X —> Ninja Gaiden Episode I —> Ninja Gaiden Episode III: The Ancient Ship of Doom —> Ninja Gaiden Episode II: The Dark Sword of Chaos —> Ninja Ryukenden —> Dead or Alive Dimensions -> Dead or Alive 5 -> Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
But that's not all! I have dates!

Code: Select all

NG (1999) ->  NGS (2000) -> NGΣ (2001) -> NGDS -> NGΣ2 (2002) -> NG3RE (2003) -> NGX -> NGI -> NGIII -> NGII -> OVA -> DOAD (2003-2006) -> DOA5 (2007) -> YNGZ
Of course this would heavily retcon basically everything... But it'd make sense!

And that's not all! unfortunately

Given that Ayane now appears in Fatal Frame and that Fatal Frame has actual dates(!), given the ages of the main character in relation to her mom (who was 18 in 1988, aka Fatal Frame III), add in ~17 years of life and you get c. 2005! That's about the time Ayane would be at her worst according to my timeline! it's all coming up zero-elec

so basically ths timelinse woutl do glike this

Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse -> Fatal Frame -> Fatal Frame II: Deep Crimson Butterfly -> Fatal Frame III: The Tormented -> Ninja Gaiden —> Ninja Gaiden Shadow —> Ninja Gaiden Sigma —> Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword —> Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 —> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge —> Ninja Gaiden X —> Ninja Gaiden Episode I —> Ninja Gaiden Episode III: The Ancient Ship of Doom —> Ninja Gaiden Episode II: The Dark Sword of Chaos —> Ninja Ryukenden —> Dead or Alive Dimensions -> Dead or Alive 5 -> Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
1980 1986 1988 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2003-2006 2007

whit fatle frame v being between thes deads or alvie tournaments

i might be sleep deprived send help
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Ninja Gaiden Shadow? Is that Ninja Gaiden Black? I've never heard it called that.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Ayane in Fatal Frame? I didn't know that. Interesting.
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:18 pm

reim0027 wrote:Ninja Gaiden Shadow? Is that Ninja Gaiden Black? I've never heard it called that.
Ninja Gaiden Shadow is the GameBoy game. Ninja Gaiden Black's been replaced by Ninja Gaiden Sigma on the timeline, 'cause Ninja Gaiden II had the Sigma versions of the Hayabusa Village/Shadow Clan Ninja Fortress.
Dark Hazuki wrote:Ayane in Fatal Frame? I didn't know that. Interesting.
Yep.
[hr]
Now that I'm more coherent, I'm going to explain the reasoning behind the timeline:
  • The Ninja Gaiden arcade game happens at the turn of the millennium, as the bad guy, Bladedamus, wants to fulfil a doomsday prophecy made by his supposed ancestor, Nostradamus. Also various signs throughout the game have the inscription 1999. (Also, if you believe that the red Ninja is Jô Hayabusa, then a mission where Ryu goes with his father makes sense this far back in the past.)
  • Ninja Gaiden Shadow happens when Ryu was younger, before the Jaquio was a thing, but since it's stated that he was young, probably younger than in most of the series (but not younger than arcade, since he is alone) so I'm giving it 2000 as a date.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Xbox/Black are replaced by Sigma since it adds story scenes) happens before the original series, as originally stated by Itagaki, and since it's probably after those games where he's younger, I'll gave it 2001
  • Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword happens half a year after Sigma.
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Replaces II since it adds story scenes) takes place after Dragon Sword, once Ryu's father returns, and the village is rebuilt again, so 2002.
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Replaces 3 because it sucked and because RE adds story scenes) takes place after Sigma 2. This game could go at the same time as DoA but I'm putting it back here so that the whole series goes together. 2003.
  • Ninja Gaiden X is a Japan only cellphone game that serves a direct prequel to the original NES Ninja Gaiden. So I'm putting it here.
  • Ninja Gaiden Episode I (The NES one, "Episode I" is for clarity's sake.) This would require some retconning to make it fit, such as Irene being recognized by Ryu, the Demon Statues already out in the wild and The Demon basically being Vigoor.
  • Ninja Gaiden Episode III (That's how it's displayed in the title screen.) Happens after I but before II.
  • Ninja Gaiden Episode II (Again, title is displayed like this) Happens after I and II.
  • Ninja Ryukenden (The OVA.) It'd require a few retcons, but it would mostly work out.
  • Dead or Alive Dimensions. Here's the biggest retcon. The tournament would happen once a year, hence the dates 2003-2006 since that would make Ryu 25 for DoA5 However I kept the original ages for the Ninja Girls at the start, with the net result of Ayane, Momiji and Kasumi being older (and thus less creepy).
  • Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. (2007) Ryu would be 25, Ayane 20, and Momiji and Kasumi 21.
  • Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. This could go anywhere after Sigma 2, really. Unless I've missed something.
Now that's all fine and dandy, but excepting a few dates and relations this is speculation. BUT! Given that Fatal Frame V has Ayane in it and the Fatal Frame Series has actuall dates attached to it, we can figure when it happens!
  • Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse happens in 1980
  • Fatal Frame happens in 1986
  • Fatal Frame II: Deep Crimson Butterfly happens in 1988
  • Fatal Frame III: The Tormented happens in 1988
  • Now here's the interesting thing. The protagonist of Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame III is the mother of the protagonist of Fatal Frame V. She was 19 during III. Assuming that her daughter is 17 and she had her soon after III, we can conclude that FFV happens in 2005-2006 and that fits with the timeline I have.
So yeah. I've given way to much thought to something so dumb.
Last edited by Zero-ELEC on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Damn, Fatal Frame's WiiU only. :huff:
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Yeah, Fatal Frame is probably going to be Nintendo only for a while, since Nintendo kinda bought shared rights to the series. (Or something.)

Also I updated my last post with my reasoning for the whole thing. I'm so sorry.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:26 am

Isn't Ryu 29?

edit: 25*