Let's compare Ninja Gaiden systems with other games

A forum for non-specific Ninja Gaiden discussion.
XNinjaRed
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Let's compare Ninja Gaiden systems with other games

Post by XNinjaRed » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:46 pm

So guys, a lot of times when I play a new game I tend to be a bit spoiled by Ninja Gaiden in one way or another.
That's because whenever I play a game that other people suggest I play because I like Ninja Gaiden, there's always SOMETHING that it lacks compared to Ninja Gaiden.

I've realized that's because there's more to Ninja Gaiden than just a singular system, and let's be honest, all Ninja Gaiden games, even their remakes, tend to have a different feel to them due to one change or another.

So I decided, let's isolate the individual systems some more and from there compare it to the systems of other games, and if possible, even say what either Ninja Gaiden or the other game does better.

I'd like to do this because when I finally start working more seriously on my games, I want to have more references than Ninja Gaiden.

I'll give an example:

I find that Ninja Gaiden's acrobatics can very much be compared to Prince of Persia's acrobatics.
Sure, the controls are different, but like Ninja Gaiden it isn't one that's specifically focused on climbing like Assassin's Creed. It is instead about how the environment is built as an obstacle and you have a specific set of walljump/run moves that function in a certain way that's built around traversal of those obstacles. And in a sense I personally think Prince of Persia does it better (besides the obvious reason that Prince of Persia is built around the acrobatics over the combat like Ninja Gaiden) because it also has acrobatics built around traversal downwards. With Ninja Gaiden there are no consequences to falling to the ground, because Ryu doesn't take fall damage. But due to the Prince's weakness to gravity, it gives us many interesting traversals through the levels that go in many different directions, both horizontally and vertically, whereas Ryu's traversals are generally horizontal with the occassional going up with the Flying Bird Flip and every now and then simply jumping down.

I guess another system I like to compare and contrast is Ninja Gaiden II's Obliteration Techniques and Devil May Cry 4's Devil Bringer.
They both function like QTE sequences without the actual QTE, in the sense that they are context sensitive to the situation and enemy in what animation you get. Except they both do go in different routes. Ninja Gaiden II's Obliteration Technique is almost always a killing move (bar the Black Dragon in NGS2 and several bosses in NG3) and the result is always the same, giving the technique a consistent use of it. Thus there's less of a randomness to it, befitting the more direct approach to combat Ninja Gaiden has. Devil May Cry 4's Devil Bringer on the other hand gives different results depending on the enemy and it's not always a killing move. With one enemy Nero throws the enemy to the ground, with another he uses the enemy as a canon, with another he throws it into a wall. This instead makes you learn how to use the enemies as your weapons with a specific move, but it makes the Devil Bringer on it's own less consistent and it's more of a tool for the Freeform combat, befitting the crazy combat Devil May Cry has.

Also remember this is not meant to be some kind of "This game is better than that game" kind of thing. Let's just compare and contrast and possibly introduce some people to games that they normally wouldn't have tried had they never have learned about a certain system the game has that they loved about Ninja Gaiden.
Hicho9
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Re: Let's compare Ninja Gaiden systems with other games

Post by Hicho9 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Right there with you.....the action and just plain FEEL of NG is unparalleled for me in gaming. There is always something missing for me in other games I try compared to the visceral, tangible, hard to articulate feeling of Ryu and NG action.

Honestly, this is why I have such huge excitement for NIOH....the action is different but feel is there.....

A game that comes close for me in somewhat capturing the feeling of NG, but in 2-D, is actually the recent Strider game on PS4. I love this game.....they really did a phenomenal job of giving you that tangible feedback feeling to the action and have a character where you just have so much facility for lack of a better word...
XNinjaRed
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Re: Let's compare Ninja Gaiden systems with other games

Post by XNinjaRed » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Hicho9 wrote:Right there with you.....the action and just plain FEEL of NG is unparalleled for me in gaming. There is always something missing for me in other games I try compared to the visceral, tangible, hard to articulate feeling of Ryu and NG action.

Honestly, this is why I have such huge excitement for NIOH....the action is different but feel is there.....

A game that comes close for me in somewhat capturing the feeling of NG, but in 2-D, is actually the recent Strider game on PS4. I love this game.....they really did a phenomenal job of giving you that tangible feedback feeling to the action and have a character where you just have so much facility for lack of a better word...
I really should play Strider some time.
It's been in my Steam Library for god knows how long and I never got around to actually playing it.