Flying Swallow into UT

A forum for non-specific Ninja Gaiden discussion.
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Flying Swallow into UT

Post by Trax » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:13 pm

So as you all probably know already, there's a way to immediately connect a UT at the end of a Flying Swallow so long as your FS heads for the ground instead of leaving you in a mid-air stance. However, lately what's been bugging me is just how to consistently pull off this trick. I've been playing around with the Talons in NG2 and using FS off a wall cling always takes Ryu downwards in such a way that it's easy to go into UT right after, but I find it much hard to do with all other weapons. I'm not sure if this is just because of the way FS works with the Talons but it's as if it can only be done in a specific frame.

Plus this is something that I noticed could be done in NGB as well, sometimes with the DS or the Kitetsu I'd follow up a FS landing with a UT. That would mean that there IS a way to actually cancel out the recovery animation from FS, but again it seems to be VERY frame specific, almost as tough to pull off as Runaway Lightning I'd say. Has anyone played around with this?
reim0027
Administrator

Re: Flying Swallow into UT

Post by reim0027 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:15 am

I've never done this in NGB. But, there are some weapons who have "On-Landing" status at the ends of their moves. This status allows you to go into an almost instant UT (the animation where Ryu pulls his weapon back is not there, saving time). It is all about timing.

I don't remember all the moves give you OL status in NG2. Dragon Sword (level 2 and above) gives you this status. When the IS shurikens explode and toss you into the air, you can land in OL status.

I know in NG3:RE, there are a bunch of them (especially with the KG).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Trax » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 am

Here's something I recorded recently http://imgur.com/C0lBXqd

Something that I noticed is that Ryu doesn't land straight away like he does with a normal FS, but instead does that sort of twist when the FS gets blocked. Difference is that here the FS actually goes through and the animation plays out as if the enemy had blocked it, which means Ryu goes into OL state immediately. Not sure if it's a small bug or something related with the angle with which the FS hit.

reim0027 wrote:
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:46 am

Trax wrote:Here's something I recorded recently http://imgur.com/C0lBXqd
That looks neat! Welcome to the forum sir :ahhh:
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:36 am

Welcome to the site! :wave:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Did Ryu actually do the FS there? It didn't look like any enemy was touched.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:13 pm

It's empty FS into UT.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Must be a glitch then. AFAIK, in NGB, you can't do a FS unless it connects with an enemy.
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Trax » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:24 am

Actually, the FS does make contact (well sort of anyway). The red ninja got beheaded before the UT, but checking the recording I noticed the other ninja actually blocked the FS, which should explain why Ryu ended up in that OL position.
reim0027 wrote:Must be a glitch then. AFAIK, in NGB, you can't do a FS unless it connects with an enemy.
Actually you can! Well, at least off wall runs anyway :silly: http://imgur.com/PUUAsTI
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:09 pm

That's true. Too bad you can't go into OL status off that one.
JTB123
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by JTB123 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:21 pm

The reason the recovery is cancelled is because the brown ninja blocked the FS and due to angle of its trajectory you would have been in OL frames immediately which is what causes the UT come out. This isn't a glitch it's just very hard to replicate as whether or not an enemy blocks your FS is kinda random. The FS properties are quite unique in NGB, it has a set area of connectivity but if it connects with something then it will keep going through multiple enemies, ghost fish are a good example of this. You can travel much further than when you hit one enemy due to animation of the move. You can also see this by lining up several enemies in a row, wind pathing all of them then doing a FS, do this on one enemy and the move ends after it hits them, with 3 or 4 the move will travel through all of them.

You can cancel the airborne recovery frames of a FS but not the landing frames (apart from Ninpo), however the landing frames are from when the move has connected with the last enemy it hit until you hit the floor but on the descent the move is still active and can be blocked by an enemy which is what happened above.

And yeah the only way to do the FS far is off a horizontal wall run, you can do some sick combos with this too :smile:

Welcome to the archives my friend! :thumb:
Button Masher
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by Button Masher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Yeah good place to practice the OL flying swallow is on chapter 10 of mission mode. You can often flying swallow off of a wall and land into a UT to kill the bow guys if you have staggered essence. :cheer: