SoB - does it make this game too easy?

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

SoB - does it make this game too easy?

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 am

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that when I first started playing this demo, I was getting my arse kicked all over the place. It seemed brutal! However, once I started getting the hang of setting up SoB chains, I'm now thinking that the game is....dare I say it, easy? Well, maybe manageable is a better word.

I honestly thought it would take more effort to S rank chapter challenge, but I did it all in one afternoon without even breaking into a sweat. And I'm no Master Ninja!

But it seems that mastering the SoB not only makes life a lot easier (or manageable) for you on the battlefield, but is also a ridiculously easy way of racking up tons of points. I mean, you can see enemy grabs coming a mile off now, and they are so easy to manipulate into doing so, especially once delimbed.

I know it's early days, and this is a demo of two very early stages, but.....I didn't expect to be on top of it so quickly. I really hope the full game makes me eat my words here. :anxious:

For anyone that's played the full version on WiiU - What's you opinion on the difficulty of the game? Is this demo any indication to go by, or am I just worrying over nothing?
Hicho9
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Re: SoB - does it make this game too easy?

Post by Hicho9 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:36 pm

For me, the game still seems plenty hard even with SoB skill.

SoB has essentially replaced the use/reliance on essence for ETs in previous games...
RebornLS
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by RebornLS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 pm

nope

its challenging until the end. The end is frustrating becauseyou have 3 boss battles at the end,back to back. (the first is actually 3 bosses at once)
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Is it as easy to chain as UTs are?
stqueirolo
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by stqueirolo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:06 pm

reim0027 wrote:Is it as easy to chain as UTs are?

nope its more difficult to chain .
protekwow
Ninja Gaiden 3
Ninja Gaiden 3

Post by protekwow » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:18 pm

SoB wont help you on bossfights and the game will have one more difficulty lvl for the story + the trials are on a whole different level than the story on UN. The game will get realy hard, trust me -_-
kosmos
Ninja Gaiden 3
Ninja Gaiden 3

Post by kosmos » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 pm

The thing that breaks the game is the UT for free. It was in the past and it is now. Personally I think stuff as powerful as UT and SoB should use Ki, like the bow when you shoot in the air with the R2 button. But I agree, SoB is easy to execute but when they mix the Van Gelfs and probably other stronger enemies, it's not as useful.
Einherjar
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend
Location: In my igloo, in the snowy wastelands of Southern Canada.

Post by Einherjar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:16 pm

I've been playing the Wii U version, and yes, I do feel that SoB makes Story mode too easy. I've cleared UN and that's the main strategy: Dodge, SoB, SoB, SoB, repeat. There are moments when you can get by without it, but it's what keeps you alive.

BUT
For the harder Trials, SoB won't be your best friend anymore. It is still useful, for sure, but you'll get more enemies that are harder to SoB. And then there are the excruciatingly unreasonable boss waves.

Basically, Story Mode is cake for me, but I start having trouble with Trials from Leader to UN. So take that as you will.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

reim0027 wrote:Is it as easy to chain as UTs are?
Well, once the SoB starts, it's as simple to chain as pressing the square button a couple of times. A level 2 weapon will chain twice allowing a max of 3 kills. But, you need an enemy to attempt a special 'red' grab before you can even initiate it. The window is small so you have to be alert. However, this is a lot easier once an enemy is delimbed, because their behaviour then becomes very predictable. A delimbed enemy will attempt a 'red' grab the very moment you're in range, so you can bait them into doing it by sliding past at the right distance and then pressing Triangle.

I remember in NG3 there were enemies that can counter the SoB. Is this still the case in RE?
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:13 pm

It's better than it was in NG3, anyway.

It's probably a bit game-breaking at times but you've had game-breaking tools in past NG games. (NG1 wall attack spam, NG2 Lunar ET chain, etc.) And those didn't help you much in boss fights, either. But it makes the game less frustrating and more playable so that's never bad in my book. Anything to get rid of the NG3 "grab spam that you can't counter because the grabs are faster than ANY of Ryu's recovery times" bullshit.

I also haven't seen Ryu be hit at the tail end of an OT animation YET, hopefully they took that out because it made me want to find TN's programmers and murder them. (In Vanilla, the beret guys in particular were fond of hitting you while you were finishing an OT... on MN/UN, where every fight is a 15 minute, 7 wave gangbang, this was beyond infuriating.)
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 pm

kosmos wrote:Personally I think stuff as powerful as UT and SoB should use Ki,
I quite like this idea. :think:
Murphy's Ghost wrote:But it makes the game less frustrating and more playable so that's never bad in my book.
Yes, very true. It's also incredibly satisfying. And just to clarify, I do actually like the SoB system in RE, but I've sort of got into a mindset now where I use very little else. I rely on it heavily. :anxious:
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Dark Hazuki wrote: Yes, very true. It's also incredibly satisfying. And just to clarify, I do actually like the SoB system in RE, but I've sort of got into a mindset now where I use very little else. I rely on it heavily. :anxious:
Well, like the many folks who squeaked through NG2 MN with the Lunar 360 ET spam, I guess it gives you breathing room to survive while you learn more about the game. And then if you want to look cool, you can sort of branch out from your safety net and develop your style.

I still feel like there should be items for just that reason. What's the point of doing a no item run if they don't exist? It's a layer of user flexibility that was stripped right out to artifically pump up the challenge.
RebornLS
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by RebornLS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:09 pm

when you have next no health,you'll be loving it
chaining 5 of those puppies together in a hail-mary effort is a rush.

remember all the questionable deaths from those monkey grabs? you get to SoB them...and,oh,how it feels great! (no chains in those)

lunar dosen't SoB though. but thats ok it more than makes up for it

you also can kill Epognois in one hit with SoB...good luck...because...if you miss you get his UT.
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:13 pm

While I do agree that it could be a little game breaking, the fact that you have to risk being grabbed (especially if you can't pull it off reliably like me) and getting kamikaze'd makes it kinda balance itself out. Besides you can't use it on most bosses.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 pm

RebornLS wrote:remember all the questionable deaths from those monkey grabs? you get to SoB them...and,oh,how it feels great! (no chains in those)
:drool2:
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Hello, Zero-ELEC. Welcome to the forums! :wave:
Zero-ELEC
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Zero-ELEC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks! This seems like a nice place to be.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:54 pm

^ Well, we try, anyway. :silly2:

Welcome to the site Zero-ELEC.

Love the sig/avy! :D
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Haven't been following the game. What is SoB?
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Steel on Bone. It's a new technique similar to Obliteration Techniques, but you're able to chain them between enemies. :ninjacool:
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 pm

vmd50 wrote:Haven't been following the game. What is SoB?
If you try the demo... when an enemy's hands glow red they will attempt a grab. Time a strong attack (or slide into them and hit strong attack) and you'll counter the grab by jamming your sword straight through them. When this happens, tap either attack button and towards the nearest enemy to chain it. You can chain further with more weapon upgrades.

Some strong enemies, like the Alchemist Assassin's Creed wannabes, have to be wounded before you can counter their grabs, so be careful about that.
RebornLS
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by RebornLS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:30 pm

vmd50 wrote:Haven't been following the game. What is SoB?
throw and ut counters
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:29 am

I like the Steel on Bone mechanisim this time around. I can see it being a game breaker on say, normal and possibly hard mode. But for the higher difficulty's it balances out the energy sapping grabs and the fact that most fights have so many enemies, and all it takes is a few strong hits and there goes your lifebar. Plus, it's not too easy to pull off. You can see their arm glow as they go for the grab, but when you're surrounded by enemies, it's not always easy (and it can be risky) to go for the SoB and risk being slashed or grabbed by someone else.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 am

Okay, i knew of steel on bone from NG3 videos. Haven't played that outside of the demo or followed new updates for this game.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:40 am

I like the new system, it was easier to abuse SoB in NG3, you could easily trigger it with shuriken stun > slide or OL Y into SoB and clear entire waves in seconds, now it's reliant on the grab counter it seems less abusable to me. Much more of a risk reward system than before.