Ninja Gaiden 3 News + Info

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: March 20th 2012
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Ninja Gaiden 3 News + Info

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:58 pm

"Many of the arguments critics levied against Ninja Gaiden III, in fact, revolved around the fact that the game is more forgiving in its controls than prior installments. "

Umm.... what the **** is this guy talking about, anyway? :scratch:
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:36 pm

1) I never played Demon Souls or Dark Souls although I do own both (huge backlog of games). Could someone explain how the sequel was inferior to the first game?

2) "Many of the arguments critics levied against Ninja Gaiden III, in fact, revolved around the fact that the game is more forgiving in its controls than prior installments. "

I guess he's referring to the fact that the game was panned in part because the combat was simplified with the addition of SOB and other elements that meant that a player with little experience could mash buttons and just start killing ****

3) From a previous interview with hayashi: "
"Rather than just having violence for the sake of violence and cheap thrill, we wanted to give meaning to violence: Why does this happen? We want to link emotion to violence." With Ninja Gaiden 3, he says, "we wanted to make a game that is for mature audiences, that can make adults think."

This guy is still friggin delusional. Like Ninja Gaiden 3 was going to "make adults think." Lol.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:00 pm

magx wrote:1) I never played Demon Souls or Dark Souls although I do own both (huge backlog of games). Could someone explain how the sequel was inferior to the first game?

I don't exactly agree with that assessment; Keys or Reim would be able to explain that view better (also they know those games way way better than I do, as do Ylva and Gulliver).

But generally I think people felt that the online system was more user friendly, weapon upgrade paths offered more viable choices (diversity), and the game was balanced better (the first game, Demon's Souls). Demon's was also less linear, though on a NG+ or even a New Game with the master key Dark Souls can be fairly non-linear.

IMO the music/atmosphere of Demon's was better, though Dark is no slouch in that category. I'd judge the gameplay of Dark to be superior- discounting the online, which I've merely dabbled with- it was never my real draw to those games, I just beat them and moved on. Though Demon's does perform better- it has some framerate shakes in certain boss fights but in Dark there are some straight-up frame-rate nosedives at times, which is rather disheartening. :think:

As for NG3... I thought the abundance of recovery frames, lack of i-frames (getting grabbed straight from an OT = derp difficulty at its finest) and generally iffy control response was the complaint as regards the controls? :anxious:

When I've played the other NGs I always found the controls to be smooth as butter, highly responsive, etc. - it was the enemies and occasionally the stage design that was unforgiving. Again I wonder how many of these reviews/review sites are viewing the game from the perspective of only having played Normal. NG3's problem isn't that it's too easy. :confused:

For the larger point, I appreciate that Hayashi is acknowledging that their philosophy in making NG3 was flawed. I dunno... I'm really not interested in any further iteration of NG3, but if a future game took those lessons to heart... we'll see. :wink:
gull
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by gull » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:
magx wrote:1) I never played Demon Souls or Dark Souls although I do own both (huge backlog of games). Could someone explain how the sequel was inferior to the first game?
I don't exactly agree with that assessment; Keys or Reim would be able to explain that view better (also they know those games way way better than I do, as do Ylva and Gulliver).
Most people I think liked Dark Souls. Keys and I are the only ones here that preferred Demon's.

I wrote a review on gamefaqs if you're interested

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/606312-dark ... iew-149091
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 pm

gull wrote:
Most people I think liked Dark Souls. Keys and I are the only ones here that preferred Demon's.
I prefer Demon's Souls too!
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks guys. , your review explained your position very well, and it sounds as though I will likely agree after playing both games. One comment you made that really struck me was when you talked about playing as a mage and ending the game having used melee most of the time and being adorned in heavy armour. That's pretty problematic!
ShreddyBobby wrote:
gull wrote:
I prefer Demon's Souls too!
What are your reasons for preferring the first game?
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 am

I must admit, I preferred Demon's as well. I remember how blown away by it I was. It was truly something very special and unique. In some ways, the same can be said about Dark Souls, but I personally found it quite dull and boring. The environments aren't as exciting as Demon's and the combat actually is very repetitive after a while. I played it for about 10 hours and lost interest.
Ylva
Global Moderator

Post by Ylva » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 am

They both are incredible games, I don't compare them, I'm just glad they both exist.
gull
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by gull » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Ylva wrote:They both are incredible games, I don't compare them, I'm just glad they both exist.
Even though I liked Demon's more, I think everyone should at least play both games. Dark Souls is still better than sooo many of the game out there right now. It didn't meet up to my expectations, but it's still worth checking out.
bodaaf
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by bodaaf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm