Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 On Acolyte - Want To Go Deeper

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 On Acolyte - Want To Go Deeper

Post by Breakage » Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello,

First time poster from the UK here. OK so I'll get straight to the point. I have just recently completed Ninja Gaiden 2 using what I can only describe as the vaguest semblance of strategy to make it to the end credits. It was a very difficult journey and there were quite a few moments where I really felt like quitting the game altogether. But I decided to stick with it and finally completed it a few days ago. The problem that I have is that I don't understand how to play this game properly or to be more specific I don't know where to begin in relation to learning the nuances of the combat system. I am aware that this game has an incredibly deep and elegant combat engine-- even as a beginner I instantly sensed that the engine was something special. However I just have no idea how to utilize it properly.
During my playthrough on Acolyte, I was virtually button mashing my way through and hoping for the best. When I finally completed it, I didn't feel a sense of satisfaction -- since I knew I barely made it through. I really want to learn how to play a game like NG2 the way it's supposed to be played. I want to be able to understand the intricacies of the combat system and AI and learn how to exploit both to my advantage for a more satisfying and enjoyable NG experience.

I am pretty bad at action games to begin with and my button execution skills are awful. When I attempt to practice the moves of a particular weapon in NG2, I have no idea if I have executed the move correctly because there is no confirmation which for a bad player (like me) can make things harder. I really wish NG2 had some sort of 'Dojo' mode where players can practice move execution and receive some sort of visual confirmation that the move has executed correctly. I don't know the best strategy to overcome this problem. Do I just keep practicing the same move over and over? How do I know my execution was correct? Is it necessary to practice all the moves of a particular weapon? When is the best time to use particular move and weapon? I have also briefly read about concepts like spatial awareness, dialed combos and i-frames but I simply don't understand the crucial interplay and relation between these concepts. I understand that merely becoming a 'good' NG2 player will require hours upon hours of playtime -- but I am prepared to do this. I really want to master a game like NG2 for once in my life instead of giving up and throwing it aside. I just need to know how and where to begin.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Completed Ninja Gaiden 2 On Acolyte - Want To Go Deeper

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Hiya Breakage! I do believe you've come to the right place for this inquiry! :D

Most weapons can be boiled down to a handful of short, useful combos that form the 'bread and butter' moveset for that weapon. These combine with the block, windpath, windrun and Guillotine Throw to make up your basic toolbox. Getting good at NG2 thankfully doesn't require you to memorize tons of long combos- executing the basic commands skilfully will take you far.

Executing your combos and knowing that the proper animation came out is just a matter of experience- with time you'll learn to read both Ryu and the enemy's animations naturally. If you had a particular weapon in mind we could be more specific- in some ways it's easier if you start playing through the game and we can give tips as you go, as there is a lot of chapter / enemy / boss-specific knowledge to be gained.

For me, the key to this game is movement and quick kills- constant fluid transition from offense to defense/evasion and back to offense. You really need to keep moving a lot in battle, as a lot of the projectile and throw attacks have slow-ish tracking on Ryu's location and will simply miss if you've moved. As you dash and jump around the battlefield, always block unless you're in the middle of a combo. And you also want to use moves with a high delimb rate so you can follow with OTs and cut down enemy numbers fast.

With the Dragon Sword, windrun (A+X) -> Flying Swallow is a staple for attacking while moving around the battlefield. If you know there are enemies near and the camera's facing away from them, this is a good move to locate them with. (Or toss a shuriken. In general, don't ignore your shuriken, particular against human enemies. The stun doesn't last long, but it stops them in their tracks and leaves them wide open.)

If a human enemy is in your face, Guillotine Throw them away (A+X when shoulder to shoulder, or if they're a bit further away, A+X to windrun towards them and then A+X again to GT them as you pass overhead). If GT sends an enemy into a wall it will 100% delimb them. In tight spaces, GT -> OT can be quickly chained and is basically one big i-frame.

XXY is a solid delimbing combo with the Dragon Sword, can can be followed up with a quick shuriken or a dash, and then OT. So that's XXYBY or XXY, dash towards their chest, Y.

When it hits level 2, -> XX is good for taking a leg off, as is the XX counter-attack. Either way, follow with OT. Also at level 2 is the YYY combo and the Izuna Drop, XY XXXY.

If I'm starting to lose you with too many combos, consider this- for the Dragon Sword, either XY or ->Y is the launcher attack. Holding Y in either case will make Ryu stay on the ground, while tapping it will result in his launching with the enemy. While you're launched with the enemy there are a few options- to do Izuna Drop from there you'd hit XXXY. You can also do XXXX for a falling slash instead of the Izuna Drop, or XXXBY to finish with a recovery-free downward stab. At first I'd simply practice the Izuna Drop until you can do it reliably. XY to launch, then XXXY. Dragon Sword must be level 2 or higher. (You'll know you did it right when Ryu grabs the enemy in mid-air and piledrives their head into the ground.)

Do you know about essence and UT chains? I'll let someone else take it from here, for now. Honestly, there's a hell of a lot of knowledge than can make NG2 easier / more pleasant to play, but it'll take quite a while to explain everything. :silly:
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Breakage » Mon May 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey Murphy's Ghost,

I heard this board was the spiritual successor to the infamous Iberian's Realm so I knew this had to be THE place for NG advice. I'm happy that the community still continues to exist here.
Anyway thank you for the quick reply. I really didn't expect such an informative post so soon. So I only have to master a few combos (initially) ? That's good to know. The move lists for each weapon can be quite overwhelming and I don't seem to have the mental capacity to execute long combo strings in the heat of battle. Everything just moves so quickly that I just default to button mashing during an encounter. I guess I'll focus on establishing a basic toolbox of commands.

In relation to actual combo execution, that's an area I'm really struggling with. My execution skills are terrible. I'm not so bad with short combos with no directions in between eg. XYY but my execution falls apart when a direction is required midway through combo the eg. XXX -> XYY. Longer combos generally result in 100% failed executions. It's like my mind can't keep up with the speed of an encounter and I end up panicking and frantically mashing the attack buttons. I've always had a problem with combos in videogames -- even if I picture the combo string in my head, I end up failing to follow it through when it comes to executing it on my controller. It's like there's a delay or translation error in between. Probably doesn't help that my memory isn't so good at the moment either. Is there anything else I could do improve execution or is really all down to practicing the same move over and over? Any other types of games I should get into to improve execution skills?

I've tried to study Ryu's animations to verify a successfully executed move. Although I personally find it quite hard to differentiate between the moves, I suppose it's just a case of spending more time with the game and paying more attention to the subtle variations in move animations.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: If you had a particular weapon in mind we could be more specific- in some ways it's easier if you start playing through the game and we can give tips as you go, as there is a lot of chapter / enemy / boss-specific knowledge to be gained.
I recently finished the game on Acolyte. I want to start again, but I'm unsure if I should up the difficulty to Warrior or do another Acolyte run (since I'm a bad NG player). If I go ahead with another run, the Dragon Sword is the weapon that I intend to spend the most time with.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: For me, the key to this game is movement and quick kills- constant fluid transition from offense to defense/evasion and back to offense. You really need to keep moving a lot in battle, as a lot of the projectile and throw attacks have slow-ish tracking on Ryu's location and will simply miss if you've moved. As you dash and jump around the battlefield, always block unless you're in the middle of a combo. And you also want to use moves with a high delimb rate so you can follow with OTs and cut down enemy numbers fast.
Yes this is true. This was one of the first things that I noticed about NG2, the combat is incredibly fast and fluid. There's an almost silky smoothness to the flow of combat in this game. And yes I agree you really have to be on the move at all times. What I noticed is that the combat pace during an encounter is entirely dictated by the enemy. You really don't have the luxury of taking your time to defend and then striking when YOU feel like it. It's almost as if you really have to be one step ahead of the AI at all times. The enemies in this game are simply ruthless.

Murphy's Ghost wrote: XXY is a solid delimbing combo with the Dragon Sword, can can be followed up with a quick shuriken or a dash, and then OT. So that's XXYBY or XXY, dash towards their chest, Y.

When it hits level 2, -> XX is good for taking a leg off, as is the XX counter-attack. Either way, follow with OT. Also at level 2 is the YYY combo and the Izuna Drop, XY XXXY.
OK, so to enable an OT, I have to perform a delimbing combo? So not all combos will delimb an opponent only specific ones? If true, I wasn't aware of it.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: If I'm starting to lose you with too many combos, consider this- for the Dragon Sword, either XY or ->Y is the launcher attack. Holding Y in either case will make Ryu stay on the ground, while tapping it will result in his launching with the enemy. While you're launched with the enemy there are a few options- to do Izuna Drop from there you'd hit XXXY. You can also do XXXX for a falling slash instead of the Izuna Drop, or XXXBY to finish with a recovery-free downward stab. At first I'd simply practice the Izuna Drop until you can do it reliably. XY to launch, then XXXY. Dragon Sword must be level 2 or higher. (You'll know you did it right when Ryu grabs the enemy in mid-air and piledrives their head into the ground.)

Do you know about essence and UT chains? I'll let someone else take it from here, for now. Honestly, there's a hell of a lot of knowledge than can make NG2 easier / more pleasant to play, but it'll take quite a while to explain everything. :silly:
Thanks for the situational Dragon Sword combo/move advice. It's actually incredibly useful because I feel most comfortable with the Dragon Sword. All that I know about UTs are that they are charged 'auto' combos with frenzied attack animations. Beyond that I haven't really looked into UTs. I have heard about things like on landing UT charging even pulled a few off by accident :D . However I don't know how to use UT chains, OLCs and essence strategically in combat.

Although I am currently a very bad NG player, I really feel like this game is drawing me in. There's something very compelling about it. I've also got NGB on my 360's hard drive. I know that Black is more 'defensive' based in contrast to NG2's 'offensive' nature and thus requires an entirely different approach but I do intend to get through it someday. I can't even get past Murai at the moment :D so I've put it on hold whilst I work on NG2.

I want to start another NG2 run, just not sure whether to go with Acolyte or Warrior since my skills are so poor.

Anyway thank you again for taking the time to share your wisdom.
Last edited by Breakage on Tue May 28, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Hey. I made a video walkthrough with commentary. It was done on MN, but the strategies apply across all difficulties.

http://m.youtube.com/user/MasterNinjaGuide
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Breakage » Mon May 27, 2013 11:51 pm

reim0027, thank you man. This is very helpful stuff made even better with commentary. Master Ninja mode is all but a distant dream for me at the moment.

Quick question. Do you think it's worth picking up the Prima Official Game Guide for NG2? I'm considering it.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 am

Nah, don't get the Prima guide. There isn't anything in there that we can't tell you or that you can't find on the Internet. Plus I hear some of the stuff is wrong, like unlocking mission mode by beating the game.
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Breakage » Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 am

Oh cool. I might skip it then. I just thought it might be useful to have all the important tips and tricks consolidated into a single resource.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 am

Breakage wrote:I guess I'll focus on establishing a basic toolbox of commands.
That's my advice. If you get down blocking, Guillotine Throw, Flying Swallow (jump towards enemy + Y or windrun Y), XXY and XYXXXY that will take you pretty far against human-size enemies. Add in YYY for big enemies and that's a pretty useful basic moveset right there.

X+A = Windrun, automatically jumps towards nearest enemy
X+A Y or jump towards + Y = Flying Swallow, dive at the enemy's neck with the sword
X+A when shoulder-to-shoulder with or when jumping over human enemy = Guillotine Throw, toss a human enemy away
XXY = basic delimbing combo. The final hit that comes with the Y button does most of the damage.
XY XXXY = Izuna Drop, launch and then crush a human-size enemy (Dragon Sword level 2)
YYY = sweeping, heavy attack combo. Does good damage over a decent area, can hit multiple targets, but leaves you a bit vulnerable (Dragon Sword level 2)

Breakage wrote: Is there anything else I could do improve execution or is really all down to practicing the same move over and over? Any other types of games I should get into to improve execution skills?
It's just practice. Eventually things come naturally, the character just does what you want him to. I don't sit there thinking about what buttons I'm hitting when I play the game, it's just muscle memory now (for the most part). One thing that might help is playing the first game, if you wanted to. A lot of the concepts are carried over, there are some similarities in the moveset, and Ninja Gaiden Black is a slightly slower-paced game that has fewer enemies per battle. (Which isn't to say it's easy, but it's less of an outright blitzkrieg.)

Breakage wrote: I've tried to study Ryu's animations to verify a successfully executed move. Although I personally find it quite hard to differentiate between the moves, I suppose it's just a case of spending more time with the game and paying more attention to the subtle variations in move animations.
Yep, exactly.

Breakage wrote: I recently finished the game on Acolyte. I want to start again, but I'm unsure if I should up the difficulty to Warrior or do another Acolyte run (since I'm a bad NG player).
Definitely go for Warrior, so you can unlock Mentor. There's nothing Acolyte will teach you that can't be learned just as well on Warrior. Mentor is where things start getting really wild. :D

Breakage wrote: OK, so to enable an OT, I have to perform a delimbing combo? So not all combos will delimb an opponent only specific ones? If true, I wasn't aware of it.
Alright, so an OT's an Obliteration Technique. All that means is that when an enemy is missing an arm or a leg, you can simply tap Y next to them to automatically kill them with a nasty animation.

Certain combos have a very high chance of removing an enemy's arm or leg, which then enables you to instantly kill them with an OT. It is indeed the case that there are specific moves that you'll be using primarily to remove limbs, and other moves you'll use for other means.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will only get yellow essence from kills via OT or UTs. To get blue or red essence to drop from enemies you'll need to kill them without these techniques.

Breakage wrote: All that I know about UTs are that they are charged 'auto' combos with frenzied attack animations. Beyond that I haven't really looked into UTs. I have heard about things like on landing UT charging even pulled a few off by accident :D . However I don't know how to use UT chains, OLCs and essence strategically in combat.
You can automatically charge a UT by holding down the Y button. There is a first burst of energy around Ryu, after which releasing and connecting with an enemy results in a level 1 UT, which we call an Essence Technique or ET. After the second burst of energy if you release and connect with an enemy you get a full Ultimate Technique or UT.

The essence that enemies drop when they die can be used to quickly charge UTs. When you hold the Y button down while there is essence around, it will be sucked in and consumed to charge your weapon. Each yellow essence absorbed gives 1 level of charge, each blue or red essence gives 2 levels or a full UT charge. Basically, 1 yellow essence allows a quick ET, while two or more yellows or 1 blue/red allows a quick UT.

You can avoid absorbing essence by holding block and moving away from it with dash-jumps. If you are holding block or in an attack animation the essence won't drift to Ryu and be collected like it normally would when he's close to it. Once you're far enough away it won't automatically drift to Ryu. Forcing essence to stay on the field so you can use it later for a UT is called 'essence staggering'.

Now, the real kicker: once you've killed some enemies, and held in block while you moved away so the essence is sitting out, if you jump and hold Y just as Ryu lands, you will skip the 'weapon draw' animation, suck in the essence and instantly charge a UT when you land. This is called on-landing charge.

UTs often kill enemies, leading to more essence. By using each freshly killed enemy's essence to charge another UT, thus killing more enemies, you can effectively chain UTs and demolish large groups very fast.

That's probably a lot to take in, but that's honestly the most complicated part of the NG combat engine. The essence / UT mechanics are very important to know. :ninjawink:

Breakage wrote: Although I am currently a very bad NG player, I really feel like this game is drawing me in. There's something very compelling about it. I've also got NGB on my 360's hard drive. I know that Black is more 'defensive' based in contrast to NG2's 'offensive' nature and thus requires an entirely different approach but I do intend to get through it someday.
They're both great games, well worth your time. The more you invest in them, the more they'll reward you by letting you kick ass in sick ninja style. Don't worry, you don't have to be a world-class gamer to be OK at NG, a lot of the battle is just knowledge. If you stick around here for a while you'll be a better player than I am in no time, trust me. :laugh2:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Practice the basics. Get good at a few good moves and stick to them.
  • block at all times
  • Dragon Sword: XXY b (shuriken) Y. Is a guaranteed kill for small enemies.
  • Guillotine Throw into a wall is virtually guaranteed to delimb, follow up with an OT
  • Get the Lunar to level 2 ASAP.
  • Lunar 360Y ET and UT will obliterate most enemies.
  • Lunar jump XXY will so an Izuna Drop
  • KG Jump YXY and 360 YY for bosses
  • Tonfa ET/ET
  • Scythe YYY for bosses
  • DK YYYY for bosses
Ylva
Global Moderator

Post by Ylva » Tue May 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi there, Breakage! It's your first time through NG2, huh? I'm jelly. :smile:
Glad you got Black, too. I'd play this first.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Welcome to the site, Breakage. :wave:
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 am

Welcome, breakage. Blocking was explained to be very important on harder difficulties. I think many of us said we hold down the block button without noticing it. During fights you might not want to let go of it except for when you attack.
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Breakage » Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey guys apologies for the late reply. Thanks for all your contributions.

@ Murphy's Ghost
Murphy's Ghost wrote: It's just practice. Eventually things come naturally, the character just does what you want him to. I don't sit there thinking about what buttons I'm hitting when I play the game, it's just muscle memory now (for the most part). One thing that might help is playing the first game, if you wanted to. A lot of the concepts are carried over, there are some similarities in the moveset, and Ninja Gaiden Black is a slightly slower-paced game that has fewer enemies per battle. (Which isn't to say it's easy, but it's less of an outright blitzkrieg.)
Yeah I think I just have to keep practicing. My Guillotine Throw skills are a bit rusty. I never seem to be able to pull it off when I want to. I think I just have to get used to the way Ryu moves / spatial awareness -- I don't think I put enough focus into that aspect of the game. I will be sure to look into Black again too.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: Definitely go for Warrior, so you can unlock Mentor. There's nothing Acolyte will teach you that can't be learned just as well on Warrior. Mentor is where things start getting really wild. :D
Will do. I was just a bit uneasy about upping the difficulty.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: That's probably a lot to take in, but that's honestly the most complicated part of the NG combat engine. The essence / UT mechanics are very important to know. :ninjawink:
The essence / UT info you posted has been a real eye opener man. I didn't really understand how the essence system relates to combat. I went through the whole game and never realized that yellow essence can only be obtained via UTs or OTs. There were many moments where I needed yellow essence to purchase items! I can't believe I overlooked something like that. The info posted here has been nothing short of revelatory - I am finally beginning to understand how things work under the hood and crucially how it all ties together.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: They're both great games, well worth your time. The more you invest in them, the more they'll reward you by letting you kick ass in sick ninja style. Don't worry, you don't have to be a world-class gamer to be OK at NG, a lot of the battle is just knowledge. If you stick around here for a while you'll be a better player than I am in no time, trust me.
Yup, I guess it's all about dumping the hours into it. I hope I get half as good as some of you guys on here. I've checked some gamer cards out and quite a few members on this board have the full 1250G. That must have required 100s of hours of devotion. Thanks for the all tips and encouragement.

@reim0027
reim0027 wrote: Practice the basics. Get good at a few good moves and stick to them.
Yup. That's what I intend to do. It really helps to condense the moveset down to a few important commands. The command list can be incredibly overwhelming to a beginner and it's easy to make the mistake of trying to learn it all at once.
Ylva wrote:Hi there, Breakage! It's your first time through NG2, huh? I'm jelly. :smile:
Glad you got Black, too. I'd play this first
Yeah first time through NG2 indeed. I actually picked up NG2 at the beginning of 2012. I was playing it on/off throughout the year but only started putting more hours into it during the last few months. I just wanted to wrap it up. I do aim to fire up Black at some point.
Dark Hazuki wrote:Welcome to the site, Breakage. :wave:
Thank you man. I look forward to being a part of the community here.
vmd50 wrote:Welcome, breakage. Blocking was explained to be very important on harder difficulties. I think many of us said we hold down the block button without noticing it. During fights you might not want to let go of it except for when you attack.
Thanks man. In relation to blocking -- I still haven't mastered the art of it. I think I become too impatient and releasing the block button too early and taking a lot of damage as a result. I guess I have to work on my timing. Is there some sort of parry or counter system in NG2 (maybe an advanced undocumented technique)? It feels there is, but I think I overlook it in the chaos of a battle. Things can get incredibly busy on screen.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 pm

There is a counter-attack. While holding block you press X or Y, both are different attacks. You would benefit from reading weapon movelists and trying them out on some ninjas.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri May 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Breakage wrote: The essence / UT info you posted has been a real eye opener man. I didn't really understand how the essence system relates to combat. I went through the whole game and never realized that yellow essence can only be obtained via UTs or OTs. There were many moments where I needed yellow essence to purchase items! I can't believe I overlooked something like that. The info posted here has been nothing short of revelatory - I am finally beginning to understand how things work under the hood and crucially how it all ties together.

OK, see this is good, 'cuz I kinda wanted to clarify on this but figured I'd already talked your ear off enough for one post. :silly:

So, clarification- yellow essence has a chance to drop any time you kill an enemy, by any method. What I was saying was that if you kill an enemy via an OT, ET or UT, they will ONLY drop yellow essence. Zero chance of blue or red. So if you're desperate for health and you're hoping the enemy drops blue essence, avoid OT/ET/UT.

Killing enemies by simply whacking them until they die will give either yellow (currency), blue (health) or red (ninpo) essence. The chances of getting blue/red seems to increase if your health/magic is low. I have no scientific proof of this, but other players of the game would likely agree with this experience.

And now, probably the last big essence-mechanic-related piece of the puzzle: killing enemies with OT/ET/UT has no chance of blue/red essence dropping, but applies a multiplier to the value of yellow essence dropped.

Every enemy has a set value for the yellow essence they can drop- so, say a green ninja gives you 100 essence (I'm making the number up here). OT and ET kills both give either a 2 or 2.5x multiplier (don't remember), and UT gives a 7x. So killing the green ninja with a regular attack gives you 100 essence if you pick up the yellow he drops, while killing him with an OT or ET will give 250, and killing him with a UT will give 700.

If you collect the essence normally, you will get the full value. If you absorb the essence for a UT charge, you will get 1/5 of its value. (And for blue/red essence, you will get no life or magic if you use it for a UT charge.) So, if you kill a green ninja with a UT, and then absorb the yellow essence he drops for a quick UT charge, you'd get 100 * 7 / 5 = 140 essence.

If you want to stack a lot of yellow essence, the key is killing groups of enemies with UTs and then collecting the essence without using it for another UT. Obviously, this is balanced against the benefit of using that essence for another quick UT and killing even more enemies.

Another good way to make money is take advantage of the dynamic chest system. There are a lot of treasure chests in NG2 that change depending on your status. A chest might contain a Grain if you don't have full Grains. If you do, but your health is depleted, it will contain blue essence. If you have 3 (max) Grains and your health is full, it will give you whatever a Grain costs at the shop on the difficulty level you're playing- a nice chunk of change. Basically, opening chests with a full inventory and full health will get you a lot of extra money. Reim's Master Ninja Youtube walkthrough covers how to manipulate the dynamic chests in detail.
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Breakage » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:
So, clarification- yellow essence has a chance to drop any time you kill an enemy, by any method. What I was saying was that if you kill an enemy via an OT, ET or UT, they will ONLY drop yellow essence. Zero chance of blue or red. So if you're desperate for health and you're hoping the enemy drops blue essence, avoid OT/ET/UT.

Killing enemies by simply whacking them until they die will give either yellow (currency), blue (health) or red (ninpo) essence. The chances of getting blue/red seems to increase if your health/magic is low. I have no scientific proof of this, but other players of the game would likely agree with this experience.

Oh I see. I understand now. Definitely helps knowing this!
Murphy's Ghost wrote: And now, probably the last big essence-mechanic-related piece of the puzzle: killing enemies with OT/ET/UT has no chance of blue/red essence dropping, but applies a multiplier to the value of yellow essence dropped.

Every enemy has a set value for the yellow essence they can drop- so, say a green ninja gives you 100 essence (I'm making the number up here). OT and ET kills both give either a 2 or 2.5x multiplier (don't remember), and UT gives a 7x. So killing the green ninja with a regular attack gives you 100 essence if you pick up the yellow he drops, while killing him with an OT or ET will give 250, and killing him with a UT will give 700.

If you collect the essence normally, you will get the full value. If you absorb the essence for a UT charge, you will get 1/5 of its value. (And for blue/red essence, you will get no life or magic if you use it for a UT charge.) So, if you kill a green ninja with a UT, and then absorb the yellow essence he drops for a quick UT charge, you'd get 100 * 7 / 5 = 140 essence.

Didn't know about this stuff at all. I will no longer look at enemies as mindless katana fodder. This really adds a whole new element of strategy to every encounter. I must admit I was taking a 'Dynasty Warriors' slice n' dice and move on as quickly as possible approach during my first playthrough. I wasn't thinking about the 'value' of an enemy.
Murphy's Ghost wrote: Another good way to make money is take advantage of the dynamic chest system. There are a lot of treasure chests in NG2 that change depending on your status. A chest might contain a Grain if you don't have full Grains. If you do, but your health is depleted, it will contain blue essence. If you have 3 (max) Grains and your health is full, it will give you whatever a Grain costs at the shop on the difficulty level you're playing- a nice chunk of change. Basically, opening chests with a full inventory and full health will get you a lot of extra money. Reim's Master Ninja Youtube walkthrough covers how to manipulate the dynamic chests in detail.
Cool. I'm gonna continue to dig into Reim's walkthrough. It really is about exploiting the hidden systems behind the game to make life easier. NG2 is surprisingly deeper than I thought. Appreciate the tips as always.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 am

Breakage wrote: Cool. I'm gonna continue to dig into Reim's walkthrough. It really is about exploiting the hidden systems behind the game to make life easier. NG2 is surprisingly deeper than I thought. Appreciate the tips as always.

Reim's walkthrough is basically the crash course for how to beat the crap out of NG2. :smile:

No problem, I love talking about this game. Let us know when you get going on Warrior!
Breakage
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by Breakage » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:51 am

Murphy's Ghost wrote: Reim's walkthrough is basically the crash course for how to beat the crap out of NG2. :smile:
No problem, I love talking about this game. Let us know when you get going on Warrior!
Haha, I'm definitely gonna set aside some time to really study those videos.

And I'll be back here in this thread once I start a serious playthrough on Warrior. All I've done so far is just mess around in Sky City Tokyo on Warrior -- haven't saved anything. Just been trying to notice the differences between the difficulty levels.

Playing from the start again also reminded me of the beauty of the first chapter. It just looks amazing in terms of art direction. The blend of traditional and futuristic Japanese architecture is absolutely stunning. And I love the way the whole stage is wrapped up in a sinister sort of ambient red hue -- you can almost feel the spectre of evil surrounding Ryu :laugh: .

I'd even say it's probably my favourite chapter in the whole game, purely based on the way it looks. Everything just feels so cohesive about that stage. I don't get the same feeling with any of the later chapters.
Last edited by Breakage on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ylva
Global Moderator

Post by Ylva » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 am

Yeah, I agree, there is so many details. I haven't noticed until quite some time that those lanterns on the background are actually making sounds.
I personally like Ch3 and Ch4 very much.