Curious, anyone ever find an actual use for this?

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Curious, anyone ever find an actual use for this?

Post by Trax » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 pm

http://a.uguu.se/lhcife.webm

Counterattack of projectiles. Feels like they're too fast for this to be useful. Only ever really got something out of countering the air blade attacks from Rasetsus
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Australia)

Re: Curious, anyone ever find an actual use for this?

Post by Massaca » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:40 pm

I've only ever done it with machinegun shots but seeing it done on arrows makes me wonder if using the Claws Y or DS X counter on explosive arrows would be a good method of closing distance to them without getting blasted to hell in places like the Ch.02 stairs and the long walkway up top of the stairs in the beginning of Ch.03 :think: Never considered it before but it feels like "damn, why didn't it occur to me years ago?".
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:28 am

I've done it accidentally. I'm not quick enough to do it on purpose.
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Trax » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Massaca wrote:I've only ever done it with machinegun shots but seeing it done on arrows makes me wonder if using the Claws Y or DS X counter on explosive arrows would be a good method of closing distance to them without getting blasted to hell in places like the Ch.02 stairs and the long walkway up top of the stairs in the beginning of Ch.03 :think: Never considered it before but it feels like "damn, why didn't it occur to me years ago?".
Yeah, could be the case with archers. The distance Ryu travels with the counter though is fairly small though, so you need to be a bit closer to the archers to hit them and at that distance you might as well use FS :D

http://a.uguu.se/yylkli.webm
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Australia)

Post by Massaca » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:42 am

I'm thinking for much longer distances if you could chain counters quickly enough. I don't know how long you're vulnerable for afterwards though. I just always had issues dodging explosive arrows on MN.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:49 am

Interesting thought - if someone with Neo reflexes could use counters to negate the arrows on MN.

I've intentionally countered TAC ninja gunfire just to look cool (and if you screw up you just block, anyways) but arrows are really quick. Would be tough!
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:43 pm

The initial link didn't work for me, but.

For what it's worth, I spent a small amount of time testing this back when I was obsessed with CH11 MN no UT stuff. My initial thought going in was that you could just counter through an IS that was thrown at you, negating the problem of them sticking to you, using claws Y counter, or any counter that was I-frame heavy.

I don't remember much except that I was disappointed with the results. The problem is that the usefulness on Ch11 is pretty limited due to the huge amount of projectiles that are thrown at you. Even if you get the counter, the longer range counters are just not as useful to the very high health fiend ninjas(you'd be playing for position then delimbing, since fiend ninjas rarely ever die aside from delimbs or OTs), plus chances are you will either be stuck during your counter, or you'll just straight up miss your counter and be stuck with 2 or 3 IS.

I abandoned the strategy for the CH11 stuff I was doing because it's so much more useful(and much more reliable) to just guard once you're stuck, so you can have your guard be broken and use the crazy extra I-frames from the blue guard break dash you get afterwards. This strategy basically works in the same way, except instead of getting a counter hit move, you get 360Y or ->Y, etc.

The only counter I can think of that it might really be cool to try this with is the kusarigama Y counter. If you grabbed one stray arrow or IS with the Y counter, it could just delimb an entire group of enemies and change the entire encounter. I'm playing other things than NG lately but still a good find, cool to talk about.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:38 pm

I've never tried this, but is it possible to counter the IS explosion?
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:57 pm

I remember trying it, but I don't remember why I didn't pursue it. Regardless though, to me when Ryu's guard is broken (At least the type from an IS) it's an incredibly strong tool that makes no UTing in NG2 possible against even the most difficult enemies, because the blue dash you get gives you extra I-frames to connect any move you want. It's a matter of choosing to block and have your guard broken, or choosing to counter the explosion(if that even works)

Just straight countering an explosion instead might save you some chip damage, but chances are they will restick you during
the landed counter animation.

Still I don't want to write it off without remembering why, if I get back into NG2 I'll definitely check this out.

And once again, if that actually works, kusarigama Y counter could actually benefit in a big way from it, so who knows