What the hell is with MN chapter 2

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

What the hell is with MN chapter 2

Post by nooblar » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:57 pm

I spent a hundred just to get through the waves of mad rabid dogs and I cross the water .... To get shot down by three archers?! What strategy will get me across this? Not to mention that I didn't do the bridge fight.new game.first time MN.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Re: What the hell is with MN chapter 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Yeah, I remember that bit from my first MN run years ago. Definitely a bit unfair. I can't remember a strategy but good luck! :awesome:
The opening chapters are pretty brutal but right after Alexei 1 you kind of find your groove. Keep us posted.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:36 pm

I think the strategy was dash left and right. I got that idea from reim's videos a few years ago when i did MN.
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Australia)

Post by Massaca » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Their accuracy is crap if you haven't seen them with the camera so try to run across the left side of the water without seeing them but don't get too close to the wall. It can be hard to keep the camera off of them but you can do it. Alternatively you could try swimming, not sure how well that works.
Anyway, when you get within range do a Flying Swallow abd then take them out. You can also cast Ninpo on water if need be.
Also advisable to get to the save before doing the bridge challenge.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:45 am

I run on the far right wall as long as possible. Then, as soon as I see them, I jag left and right. As soon as I'm within distance, I windpath (X+A) into a Flying Swallow to land on the platform.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:42 am

Will try that zig zag pattern later. The archers are uncannily accurate with their shot. Even in water the explosion can cause damage. I have tried to swim across and even hid under some ramp.

That bridge fight do you do it immediately after the dogs or you come back later? After the rabid dogs I'm like left with 70% life which means two shots and I'm dead....

Master ninja mode is truly difficult...

Arrows are faster than rockets. :sob:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 pm

I do it once I get to the first save. Getting to that save is hard enough without adding another insane fight one to it.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:03 pm

reim0027 wrote:I do it once I get to the first save. Getting to that save is hard enough without adding another insane fight one to it.
Thanks reim. When I see your vids you make everything look SO simple.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:28 pm

I love the Fiend Dogs, i really do :-?
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:56 pm

What's your general approach to fighting them, PG?

The arrows on MN are WAY more of a threat than RLs... I love the rocket spam on Mentor because once you get the hang of it, you can dance right around/through the Rockets but the MN archers will still nail you sometimes and it hurts bad.

Lot of good tips here. I would add that two shots of level 1 Inferno will kill one of the archers. If you're nervous while approaching on the water you can dash, ninpo, dash, ninpo, dash and by then you should be close enough to FS over to them. Sucks burning two or three ninpo but making that first save point is SO worth it.

Good luck!
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:31 pm

I finally got through. I was closed to 40 percent health and when my flying sparrow connected and immediate killed the first archer my heart skipped a beat. When the excitement kicks in I found myself in the water! I managed to water run and got shot one more time and I took a herb and Ninpo both off.

I have never felt more threatened in my entire gaming life till now. Fortunately the life of the gods bridge fight wasn't as hard as the initial part.

What is the creator thinking of? Nonetheless fun but not for the less resilient among gamers.
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Australia)

Post by Massaca » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:55 pm

Good work mate. Better get some practice in with those archers though, IMO the worst is yet to come with Ch.03 and 04. Good luck. The upcoming Rod of Trials fight should be good for it.
Murphy's Ghost wrote:two shots of level 1 Inferno will kill one of the archers.
You sure? I coulda sworn it still only took one hit. At least in Ch.01 anyway.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Nice one. That gauntlet is rough. If you can beat the first 2 chapters, you can beat this game.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:18 pm

So far I have already used 2 herbs from chapter 1 till the point before the rod of trials fight. I am very afraid of using items as the price is exhorbitant. For your first run through MN do you use them or save them for the TOV and final boss? In mentor I managed to save 7 LOTG but I don't think I can take it in this mode.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:23 am

Currently save at the resetsu fight. I felt that I had become a better player after the previous fights. Enjoying it so far.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:48 am

Honestly, i dont think there's a fool proof method for that fight. The guys at Team Ninja must of had a laugh knowing what awaits the player against those Dogs. And lets be honest here, they have to be the toughest enemy in the game, especially on Master Ninja.

Unless you want to keep playing that sequence over and over again, you want to stick with moves that provide iframes as much as possible. They swarm you pretty bad. If I recall i Ninpo the archers and then utilise a wall so they can't get behind me. I used the Lunar instead of the DS.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:57 am

I followed reim strategy of doing a 360 Y with the lunar. It's the part where you had to run across the water and take out the three archers on the platform. Again I followed reim strategy to hug the cliff wall on the right and that helped. It's just that without these strategies a new player on MN might just throw in the towel. ITAGAKI thanks you!
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Don't be afraid to use items. Try not to use them all the time, but if you need a her or grain, don't be afraid to use it. Also, you should know how many free items there are in the chapter.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 am

Finally completed chapter 2. Found that the chapter gets easier after that first fight and the rod of trials gauntlet. On to chapter 3!
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Trax » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 am

I always honestly just tried to skip the fight with the dogs. Dealing with the IS ninjas and mages is easy enough, but those damn dogs. What I'd do was basically run all the way back up the stairs with a few of the dogs chasing after me. I'd kill them at the top of the staircase because this would prevent any more dogs from spawning and it would despawn the archers. After that just run under the bridge, use Inferno to kill an archer and close in with a flying swallow. Rest of the chapter is a cakewalk in comparison to that part :sob:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:06 pm

The dogs are so damn annoying. I honestly skip them too.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Jump, Shuriken into FS works well for archers.